I had the whole weekend to work on my letter of intent for doctoral school but… I had a craving for brownies which took over my Saturday. Whoops, yet so worth it. I had lots of fun creating this recipe using what I had at home and did lots of tasting during (too much). Best part is that these brownies are gluten and dairy-free aka WINNING.
Unsweetened cocoa powder packs a bitter but powerful taste and is a pure form of chocolate. This powder is packed with antioxidants called polyphenols which are also found in another favorite item of mine — red wine. Polyphenols are known to help reduce cancers as well as lower blood pressure and effects of aging. Cocoa powder is a natural stimulant thus if you need an extra boost in the morning – sprinkle some into your coffee or oatmeal! Lastly, cocoa powder contains a natural antidepressant called phenethylamine that mimics the natural ‘high’ experienced post exercise.
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond butter (or other nut butter)
- 2 tbsp avocado, fresh
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (light)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 6 large medjool dates, mashed with the pits removed
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a blender combine the melted chocolate, eggs, coconut oil, and coconut milk, then pulse well.
- Fold in the remainder of the ingredients – cocoa powder, coconut powder, almond butter, avocado, dates, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Pulse well until all the ingredients are one uniform batter.
- Try to refrain from tasting so you have enough to actually cook!
- Line a cooking sheet with parchment paper and use a tablespoon to drop the chocolate batter. Leave about a quarter sized space between each drop.
- Cook well for 20-25 minutes until you can insert a toothpick and remove it clean.
- Serve when trying to distract someone… Works every time.
xxx – Sarah