O-M-G. I’m obsessed with this bread – I won’t lie but it’s almost finished and I made it like yesterday. I’ve been playing around with flavors in my kitchen since the weather has been cold… Then again, who am I kidding, it’s like 60-70 degrees in Texas. My mom always made banana bread when I was a kid and frankly I needed a taste of home but sans the gluten and dairy. Basically I changed my mother’s recipe and just kept the bananas.
Potassium. It’s a very important mineral and bananas are loaded with it! What does potassium even do? Well, it’s a mineral that helps to keep your heart, nerves, and muscles working properly. Thus when dehydrated many individuals chug energy drinks with potassium but sometimes its easier, healthier, and cheaper to opt for actual food sources. Other good food sources of potassium include oranges, pomegrante, dates, tomato and tomato-based products, potatoes, winter squash, avocados, broccoli, dried/refried/baked beans, milk, nuts and seeds, and some salt substitutes.
- 2 medium yellow bananas, ripe
- 3 frozen bananas, defrosted
- 2 tbsp light coconut milk
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup almond butter (or other nut butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (+extra for greasing the pan)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 or more tbsp cinnamom or pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp (or 1-2 grinds) sea salt
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (or other berries)
- 2 tbsp mini milk chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a loaf pan (or pan that is about 9×5 inches) with coconut oil OR you can line with parchment paper.
- In a blender combine the eggs, coconut oil, coconut milk, almond butter, 2 fresh bananas, and 2 frozen bananas.
- Fold in the coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and sea salt. Blend all ingredients until mixture is homogeneous.
- In the greased pan pour half the mixture then set aside.
- Using a small bowl mash up the defrosted banana and berries.
- Evenly the mashed fruit over the mixture in the pan.
- With the remainder of the banana mixture, fold in the chocolate chips and mix, then pour over the berries. Use a spatula to try and spread the mixture evenly.
- Cook for 60-70 minutes or until a knife/utensil can be inserted and removed clean.
- Allow to cool then serve with your finest tea, wine, or coffee.
- Bottom’s up!
xxx – Sarah