Super Bowl. Wings. Those two words represent American favorites that go hand in hand. I officially coin the Super Bowl as a free pass to indulge lightly. Those football players are burning some serious calories and shedding sodium so it’s our duty to support them by eating!
Most of my friends looooooove wings, and I was going to a party, thus culinary thoughts went wild in my head. This dish is filled with flavor and best of all is that none of it was sodium (salt) based!
Did you know, too much sodium can lead to high blood pressure, fluid retention/water weight, thirst, puffiness around the eyes, and swelling to the extremities? Maybe rethink the salt shaker next time OR do a ‘1-2’ count when using a shaker to prevent adding too much salt. The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for a Healthy Eating Pattern recommends consumption of less than 2300 mg of salt daily. Here’s some food for a thought, a teaspoon (tsp) is equivalent to 2300 mg of salt. No wonder there were times when I couldn’t bend my fingers or my eyes looked tired – I’m guilty of having a heavy hand with the salt shaker at times. It’s a love/hate relationship.
- 4# chicken wings with the skin (dry with paper towels before using)
- 1 large bundle of cilantro, minced (1 1/2 cup)
- 1 large bundle of green onion (1 cup)
- 1 cup raw peanuts, chopped
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp tumeric
- 2 tbsp powdered ginger
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 3 tbsp ginger, minced/grated
- 2 tbsp apple vinegar
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Juice of a medium lime (1/4 cup)
- OPTIONAL or as desired: sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large cooking pan (disposable tin) lay out the wings and top with black pepper. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Separately under medium-high heat sauté the green onion, cilantro, coconut flour, sesame oil, EVOO, peanuts, garlic, ginger, lime juice, apple vinegar, and dry spices (chili powder, red pepper flakes, powdered ginger and turmeric).
- Remove wings from the oven and cover with the green onion and cilantro mixture.
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes until desired texture/crispiness is achieved.
- Garnish with cilantro and/or peanuts prior to serving. If your friends are afraid of life without salt – add it at your own discretion.
- Gooooo Broncos!
xxx – Sarah