I love Wednesdays… They signify the mid-week which means it’s almost Friday! Then again, I never truly rest or have time off… Working out or being active is my “me” time and allows me to collect my thoughts. This was a great workout which focused primarily on shoulders:
- Superset #1: Decline abdominal bench with 10# -> 20 reps & 45# overhead barbell narrow stance squat shoulder presses -> 12/15/12 reps
- Superset #2: Dumbbell side lateral raises (12.5#) -> 12 reps & Dumbbell front raises with a twist at the top to engage forearms (12.5#) -> 12 reps
- Superset #3: Shoulder shrugs with dumbbells (25/30/25#) -> 20 reps & Hanging leg raises -> 12 reps
- Superset #4: Wide stance body weight squats -> 15 reps & Lying down straight leg lifts -> 20 reps & 10 burpees
- Right side plank / Front plank / Left side plank -> hold all 3 planks for 60 seconds
- 20 minutes on the stairmaster with the level increasing every 5 minutes
- 10 minutes on the ARC elliptical trainer
All supersets and exercises were repeated 3 times. The weights I used are an example of what can utilized but as always the exercises can be scaled based upon ability without loss of proper form.
*Remember :: The window for optimal post-workout recovery is 6 hours upon completion. Within the first 30 minutes post-workout the most rapid glycogen re-synthesis occurs. By consuming protein and carbohydrate together (not just PROTEIN) you are enhancing muscle repair and growth along with increasing glycogen storage and decreasing recovery time. The benefits are endless!
*Example: Consume 1/2 cup raspberries with a 1-scoop protein shake that is no more than 20 grams of protein.
xxx – Sarah