I love potluck dinners with friends because they allow me to experiment with different ingredients. I consider myself to be a healthy cook and since it was a fairly large dinner with friends having different taste buds I decided to experiment with a neutral and all-time favorite dish… A spinach dip but of course I had to add in some personal twists…
This dish combines my some of my favorite ingredients: spinach, tomatoes, and garlic! I made the dish two ways; the first was with low-fat parmesan cheese and the second was sans the cheese. I have recently begun to shy away from cheese/dairy products but that does not mean those I cook for shall suffer! This recipe was a hit and was served as an appetizer as well as a side dish option with the main entree items.
- Two 10-ounce boxes of frozen, chopped spinach
- 3 large vine tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 to 1 cup virgin olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low-fat grated parmesan cheese
- SERVED WITH: Vegetable chips and/or raw vegetables
- Defrost both boxes of frozen spinach then set aside.
- Prepare necessary ingredients (ie. chop the garlic cloves).
- Combine the olive oil and minced garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat – stir as necessary to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Add the chopped spinach to the garlic/olive oil and mix well so that all the leaves are covered.
- Toss the tomatoes into the saucepan and stir well.
- Lower the heat, and if desired, then stir in the parmesan cheese.
- When the mixture is heated to a desired temperature remove from heat.
- Serve with vegetable chips and/or raw vegetables.
- TIME TO RUB THY BELLY!
Nutrient Content per serving (about 1/2 cup): 215.3 calories; 11.4 grams carbohydrate; 6.9 grams protein; 15 grams fat; 6.5 milligrams vitamin-C; 1,120.4 milligrams vitamin-A; 1.6 milligrams cholesterol; 172.8 milligams calcium; & 3.1 grams fiber