Oh hey… It’s almost fall which means my favorite time of the year is coming up aka apple and pumpkin galore. Yes, I already got my PSL fix with my obvious modifications (almond milk for regular milk and no whip).
This dish literally came to me as I was craving for something sweet yet slightly tart with a crunch. I wanted to use the ingredients I had at home without having to run out to grab something processed, sugary, and high calorie. Are you looking to impress someone with your cooking skills but without breaking the bank, filling up on calories, and killing your schedule? This recipe is totally for you.
- 1 large Granny Smith apple; thin slices
- 1/2 cup dry oats
- 2-3 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil; melted
- 1 handful walnuts; chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a small circular cooking dish/pan with coconut oil.
- Cover the bottom of the dish/pan with half of the apple slices then sprinkle oats, coconut flakes, and cinnamon on top – this is layer one.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and prepare layer two. Cover the first layer with the remainder of the apple slices allowing for the center to be without any apple slices.
- Sprinkle walnuts in a circular motion outside the center that is void of apples then add a few in the center.
- Combine the melted coconut oil and coconut sugar then drizzle over the apple slices. Add the remainder of the sugar/oil mixture to the center that is void of apple slices.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes depending on the level of crispiness desired.
- Serve plain, with cider, or ala mode!
- Happy almost fall!
xxx – Sarah