Summertime and the livin’ is easy… food dishes should be easy to make too! No one has a hour or more to whip up food dishes to please the hungry. Whether you’re adding this dish to your fridge as a staple for snacks, addition to a BBQ, or as a dessert, it is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
This dish contains watermelon and cucumbers which are filled with water. Hot weather calls for dishes high in water content to contribute to overall hydration. When I would be poolside in Texas, a good friend from Mexico City used to always slice cucumbers and season them with chili, which I loved but still wanted something a little sweeter…
Rule of thumb (at least my thumb) – aim to drink at minimum half your body weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, try to aim for 60 ounces or more. Personally I like to drink my body weight in ounces or at least come close – this means near 130 ounces of water daily (slightly more than a gallon).
- 1 large cucumber; peel off some of the skin and then slice thinly
- 16 ounce container strawberries; halved with the stems removed
- Half of 1 large watermelon; cubed
- 1/4 cup cilantro; minced
- 1/4 lime; juice (fresh is preferred but lime juice is a good option as well)
- Eyeball amount of chili powder (I love Tajin – the low sodium version is my go-to)
- Optional/to taste: sea salt
- Using a disposable tin or large tupperware container combine cucumbers, strawberries, watermelon, lime juice, and cilantro. Cover container of choice and shake thoroughly.
- Season with chili powder and sea salt if desired. I like to thoroughly cover each piece of fruit and cucumber.
- Cover and chill until ready to be served.
- Pair with your favorite sparkling beverage whether non-alcoholic or alcoholic… bottoms up y’all!
xxx – Sarah