Smoothies are out this year. Didn’t you know? Bowls are in. The crunch, the chew, and the swirl of a spoon is the latest craze. I am a major fan because I find that eating with a spoon rather than drinking my food allows for me to digest slowly, calm myself before the day begins, and appreciate each ingredient.
If you do not do this already, you should – check out the bulk section at your grocery store! The bulk section allows you to try ingredients that you may or may not have heard of. Best of all you can select the amount of each ingredient which allows freshness and helps with portion control.
The ingredients in this ‘Berry Walnut Bowl’ are super refreshing, energizing, filling, and nutritious. Best of all this bowl is sans gluten and dairy. Start your day with the right fuel!
- Layer One:
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup dry oats
- 3 tbsp unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2-3 tbsp water (depending on thickness desired)
- Layer Two:
- 1/2 banana; sliced
- handful of frozen raspberries
- 1 scoop of protein powder (unsweetened or flavored)
- handful of chopped walnuts
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients listed for layer one.
- Allow to set in the refrigerator uncovered for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator. Distribute each ingredient from layer two in horizontal fashion in the bowl.
- Return to the refrigerator to set further…
- Or if you’re impatient like I am, grab a spoon, dig in and mix up the ingredients!
xxx – Sarah