To start your day right… Treat your inner ‘chi’ right with some breakfast that will awaken your taste buds. If you’re anything like me – breakfast needs to be quick, tasty, and filling. Impossible? No.
This is a dish that can be made almost all the time because it calls for variety! For me, I utilize different fruits for the sweet and colorful aspect (bananas, berries, or stone fruits such as nectarines or peaches) OR I change up the protein base by alternating nut butters (cashew, almond, or peanut – absolutely love all of Justin’s butters) or protein powders (soy-free or egg powders – I prefer Jay Robb Egg White Protein Powder).
Oats and chia seeds are the kicker in this dish – the gluten-free powerhouse! Oats are one of the whole grains according to the January JAMA Internal Medicine that reduces premature death from all diseases such as cancer or cardiovascular disease. To be deemed ‘gluten-free,’ as of 2013 the FDA has mandated that items that contain wheat, barley, rye, or other gluten-like ingredients, be void OR must be less than 20 PPM of gluten. This labeling also makes like much easier for those with Celiac Disease and inherently MUST avoid gluten rather than those that are following various fad or elimination diets.
Chia seeds are packed with omega-3 antioxidants, minerals, fiber, and vitamins. These tiny little seeds when wet are hydrophilic thus they absorb water/fluid and inflate/puff up and trick our stomachs into satiety/fullness. Therefore chia seeds also help with hydration and weight loss. Like I said, they are the kicker in this dish!
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- protein base (1 scoop protein powder or 1-2 tbsp nut butter)
- 1 whole fruit – can be sliced, diced, or minced
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- To taste: nutmeg or cinnamon
- In a dish or jar combine oats and chia seeds then mix well with the almond milk.
- Stir in the protein-base.
- Top with the fruit and spices then cover with the lid to the jar or with clear wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 1-hour minimum to allow the chia seeds to be saturated.
- Grab a spoon, mess up the pretty fruit layer on top, or if you’re like me, try to
drinkaka slurp as you drive…! Enjoy 🙂
xxx – Sarah