Do you have events such as BBQs, potlucks, beer tastings, or wine and tapas pairings coming up? Try this colorful and simple crowd pleaser… For me in a nutshell it was a little slice of heaven; I recently competed in a bikini competition and was extremely strict with my diet (sans a few noshes here and there). Regardless of my diet, I was not about to show up empty-handed to a beer/pairing event, thus I whipped up a little something that represented all of the food items that I no longer consumed on a daily basis but craved – aaaaaand let me tell you, it was phenomenal (or so that is what I was told).
Potato Layer Ingredients:
- 3 small Japanese sweet potatoes; diced
- 3 small Yukon gold potatoes; diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes; diced
- 4 sliced Jalapeno bacon; minced (I love utilizing the HEB brand)
- Absolutely love this quote: ‘Either you love BACON or you’re WRONG.’
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp coconut oil; melted form (save some for greasing the baking dish)
- It is recommended to use a 9″ x 13″ pan
Crumble Layer Ingredients:
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup dry oats
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or Stevia)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the a, coconut oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pumpkin spice together.
- On the stove top, cook the bacon so that it is slightly crisp, remove from heat and add to the potatoes from step 2 – mix well.
- Grease the baking dish to be used with coconut oil then layer the potatoes evenly and cook for 30-40 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking; combine the oats, strawberries, pecans, and sugar – mix well to form the crisp.
- Utilizing the grease from cooking the bacon – add the concoction from step 5 and cook until slightly browned but still moist.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven then cover the potatoes with the crisp.
- Cook in the oven for the remainder of the time left (should be at least 10 minutes).
- Insert a fork into the crumble and potatoes to test for tenderness – depending on how tender the potatoes are the cooking time may need to be increased.
- Optional: Drizzle honey over the top of the finished product before serving.
- Serve with a beverage of choice – cheers!
PS – Yes, I finally did indulge…
xxx – Sarah