Rather than to use a high calorie, carbohydrate, and /or sugared bread or pasta side… try something new.
This is a simple and easy side dish that goes well with poultry, fish, or meat. I always try to aim for 3-4 colors on my plate. This dish adds four colors to your plate which are antioxidant loaded (yellow, white, red, and green)! For example, the super vegetable yellow squash, is a good source of protein and vitamins A, C, K, and B-6 along with minerals such as niacin, phosphorus, and copper! Fight the bad guys with this side dish.
- 1 large zucchini; 4 thin slices
- 1 large yellow squash; chopped
- 2 medium sized vine tomatoes; diced
- 1/4 c chopped yellow onions
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp virgin olive oil
- olive oil spray to coat pan
- Spice Mixture: garlic, onion, red pepper, paprika, parsley, rosemary, & black pepper (a tsp of each and mix)
- Coat a large saucepan with olive oil spray and apply to medium heat. Add the zucchini slices then top with the spice mixture. Turn the zucchini over as needed to allow both sides to evenly brown. Removed zucchini slices from heat and set aside for serving.
- In the same pan, toss in all the yellow squash, tomatoes, and yellow onions and apply low heat. Top the vegetable mixture with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. When the liquid appears homogeneous covering all vegetables continue sautéing. Test the squash texture by sticking a fork in it and if it appears to slide in then it is pretty tender. Remove the vegetables from heat and toss over the zucchini slices.
- Voila! Enjoy 🙂
xxx – Sarah