Are you looking for a fun refresher after your workout? Need something with a good taste? Protein? Carbohydrate? TRY THIS! The recipe below is for one person but can be doubled and/or tripled as necessary. I was starving after my workout and went to town on it!
This purple powder smoothie contains 2 servings the recommended daily fruit/vegetable intake. Another fabulous benefit of this smoothie is not only its taste but its protein content, you can get anywhere from 20-30 grams of protein before or after your workout with this delicious concoction (protein content is variable based upon the brand used). Protein assists with muscle growth and recovery after a workout. The natural sugars that are present in the fruits provide your body with glucose to fuel your muscles (necessary before and after a workout). Blackberries are filled with antioxidant properties that help protect the body against cellular breakdown and diseases. YOUR risk for diseases such as heart disease, cancer (breast and cervical), hypertension, diabetes, and obesity may be lowered with the incorporation of blackberries into YOUR daily diet.
- 2/3 c blackberries, rinsed
- 1 medium-sized banana, peeled
- 1-scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 tsp chia seeds, ground
- 1/2 c water
- Combine all wet ingredients into a blender then follow with the dry ingredients (berries, banana, powder, and seeds).
- Blend on a medium-high speed until the liquid appears homogeneous.
- Serve while cold or set aside in the refrigerator for later! If used at a later time after making, be sure to blend it again briefly to enhance the consistency of the taste!
- Don’t forget to check your teeth before leaving the house – a seed or two may be stuck making you look toothless 😉
Stay tuned for more delicious smoothies/shakes!
I just got a VITAMIX and I’m obsessed. It’s a culinary must have! Check it out at: http://www.vitamix.com/
xxx – Sarah