I am currently adhering to a moderate carbohydrate and high protein diet. This is a great lean mean addition to meals! These stuffed peppers are a great source of lean biologically available protein and are low in carbohydrate and fat. This dish is flavorful and juicy! They’ve got some spice and spunk. Enjoy!
- 2 bell peppers, assorted colors (I prefer green and red)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg (yolk and whites)
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 pound, ground beef (93% fat-free)
- TO TASTE: Garlic powder and paprika
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon (optional)
- Baking pan
- Tin foil
- French knife
- Cutting board
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the tops from the peppers, cut vertically, and remove seeds. Rub the outer surface of each pepper with oil and grease/oil a baking pan. Place the outer surface of each pepper with the cut sides up on the oiled baking pan.
- Combine the ground beef with the egg in the mixing bowl and mix well (I used my hands – is easier and more thorough). Combine the scallion along with the desired garlic powder and paprika into the ground beef mixture – mix well.
- Stuff the peppers with an equal amount of the meat mixture. Cover the baking pan containing the stuffed peppers with tin foil and bake for one hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
Nutrient Content: 340 calories, 29 grams protein, 5 grams carbohydrate, 15 grams fat (3 grams Omega-6), 3 mg iron