I’m all about the tortillas… Especially if they are fresh but when watching caloric intake, and trying to get ready for the holidays, the key is to swap appropriately. I was in the mood for beef and tortillas but I decided to turn that craving into lettuce wraps and boy am I glad – these are packed with quite a powerful punch! Sidebar – the dish is both gluten and dairy-free!
Beef is a great source of protein, zinc, and iron which play a role in our energy levels and maintenance of our body. Its nutrients are readily absorbed since it is a ‘high biological value’ source aka from an animal rather than through a pill or powder. Quick solutions are not always the best, in other words, put down the pills for a change.
- 1 pound, ground beef (I prefer to use 90% lean/10% fat)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp roasted or regular garlic, minced
- 1/2 apple, diced
- 2-3 tbsp Sriracha sauce or salsa (I am a huge fan of the La Costena brand)
- To taste/recommended spices: curry powder, paprika, sea salt, ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes (I used all of them – one or two shakes of each spice)
- In a large saucepan combine the red pepper, cilantro, onions, cashews, garlic, and apple, and toss under medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and mix into the ingredients. Allow to cook for 10 minutes then reduce to medium or low heat for 5 minutes.
- Set up a plate or several plates with 2-3 lettuce wraps open-faced for the beef to be topped on.
- Optional: Add sliced avocado on top for an additional oomph.
- Serve with your favorite Vino or iced beverage.
- Happy munchin’ y’all!
xxx – Sarah