It might be almost Movember aka November and rage is pumpkin everything but I’m still craving some summer favorites! A while back when I was in Mexico I sat in on a ceviche making class to learn the basics and it was quite the treat. Life has been crazy but I’m starting to get some ‘me’ time and for me that involves creating what my taste buds crave.
I love ceviche with a mix of seafood but sometimes its fun to change it up – so I did just that and it even got a little messy! Traditionally this dish takes about 1-2 days to make if raw fish is utilized due to the fact that the fish should be marinated in lime juice overnight to cook. In my case I utilized cooked shrimp for a speedy result (for those who do not consume seafood or fish – opt for some plain chicken). The fresh, colorful ingredients used in this recipe allow for one to reap the antioxidant benefits in tasty fashion with a sweet twist.
- 1 pound mixed pre-cooked seafood (shrimp was my poison); chopped into various sizes
- 1 large handful of fresh cilantro, minced
- 3/4 large yellow onion, minced
- 3 small green olives, minced
- 2 medium red tomatoes, diced
- 1 large avocado, chunks
- 2 small jalapenos
- 1 fresh lime, juice
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, rinsed
- Optional: virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl mix all the base ingredients: cilantro, avocado, yellow onion, green olives, lime juice, red tomatoes, and jalapenos.
- While mixing toss in the seafood so that it is dispersed evenly.
- Drizzle some olive oil atop the ingredients (note: this is an optional step).
- Using your hands, squeeze the raspberries and rotate in circles around the dish allowing for even juice distribution, then toss in the remainder of the berries.
- Chill for 1-2 hours prior to service.
- Enjoy with some sweet potato chips as a dip, in a salad , or simply by itself!
- …and as they say in Mexico, exquisito!
xxx – Sarah