Basically Summer screams frozen everything. I love salt and I love sugar aka I go nuts for combinations with hints of both – why not mix them together and get crazy?! However, since I’m ‘adulting’ that means make some swaps for healthier ingredients… Rather than adding traditional chocolate in the recipe I swapped for chocolate protein powder which allows for a bit more protein compared to a regular dessert.
- 2 bananas; sliced
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder (these are some of my favorites: Quest, Jay Robb Egg White Protein Powder, or MuscleSport)
- 4 tbsp coconut flakes; dried
- 2 tbsp oatmeal; dry
- 1 tsp coconut oil; melted
- To taste – sea salt
- Line a cooking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the sliced bananas to the parchment paper and freeze for 10-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix protein powder with very little water, stir and/or add water until a pudding consistency is reached. Set aside the chocolate protein pudding mixture.
- Heat up coconut oil under medium-high heat in a frying pan then add the oatmeal, coconut flakes, and sea salt. Toss the coconut/oatmeal mixture until golden then remove from heat and set aside.
- SIDEBAR – the toasted mixture almost tastes like popcorn and it’s heavenly.
- Remove the cooking sheet from the freezer. Add a dollop of the protein pudding to each banana slice then top with a sprinkling of the coconut/oatmeal mix.
- Put the banana slices back into the freezer for minimum 20 minutes.
- Sandwich two banana slices together with a toothpick so that the chocolate pudding mixture is in the middle. Return the cooking sheet to the freezer for 20 minutes or longer.
- Remove banana sandwiches from parchment paper and serve as a the perfect guilt-free dessert.
- Absolute H-E-A-V-E-N!!!
xxx – Sarah