This has quickly become my favorite go to when I have a sweet tooth… It’s free of the major food inflammatory agents aka gluten, peanuts, eggs, and dairy. Another winning bullet point is that it’s free of white refined sugar and its sweetness is derived from dates.
Medjool dates are a great fruit to add sweetness to a dish without reaching for processed sugar or its alternatives. Unlike other fruits, its nutrient content lacks vitamins A and C. However they are a great source of energy due to their carbohydrate/sugar content, potassium (dates beat bananas in this department), and soluble fiber. Therefore if you’re making a smoothie pre-or post-workout be sure to add a date or two! Now, this may be a bit TMI but if you’re constipated be sure to add some dates into your life! The dates work as a great solidifying agent to give your bowels a push.
Let’s get down to business. If you are craving the sweets instantaneously, the good news is that this tastes phenomenal without being cooked and is safe for consumption. However, if you can wait a few minutes – pop these drops into the oven for 5-10 minutes! Also, good news, if you’re not a chocolate person that’s okay because these drops taste amazing without it!
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil; melted
- 1 cup cashews; soaked and strained (try to soak for 10-15 minutes)
- 1 tbsp almond butter; crunchy or creamy (unsalted and aim for crunchy for some texture)
- 1/3 cup oatmeal; dried
- 3-4 medjool dates; remove the pits
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL but highly recommended: 1/3 cup milk or dark chocolate mini chips
- To taste: sea salt (I added about 1-2 pinches)
- Utilizing a food processor, combine all ingredients BUT the chocolate chips. Pulse until blended then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the chocolate chips and stir well until the mixture appears uniform.
- On a piece of parchment paper, create small drops/balls using a tablespoon and/or your hands to mold. Set each drop/ball about a ‘thumb’ of distance between each other.
- If you want to eat right away – do so.
- If you want to wait and cook em – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 5-10 minutes until golden then set aside to cool.
- If you want to wait and have em cold – place in the refrigerator and nibble when ready.
- It’s time for some dates in your life.
xxx – Sarah