I am a foodie without a slow cooker… Yes, I know, I have yet to get on the bandwagon, and when I do, y’all will certainly know. To get the consistency of chicken from a slow cooker without actually having one is NOT impossible.
Chicken is a great source of lean protein and is readily absorbed by our body. Like other animal based proteins chicken is a high biological value (HBV) protein. Our bodies crave protein to keep our skin intact and our muscle fibers bound (also serves as a great post-workout meal or snack). This is a great savory dish that allows you to get the protein you need and it can be paired with just about anything! I opted to pair with asparagus and sweet potatoes… 🙂
- 1.2-1.5 pounds, chicken breasts – thick slices
- 1 tbsp., rosemary – minced
- 2 tsp., garlic – minced
- 1 medium-sized, yellow onion, thin slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp, paprika – granulated/ground (aka looks like salt but red in color)
- To taste: Salt (use at your own risk)
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and set up your ingredients.
- In a large pot or stockpot over medium heat add olive oil, onions, rosemary, and garlic then mix well. Inhale the aromas for about 5-7 minutes or until the onions are slightly golden in color.
- Stir the chicken into the onions/oil piece by piece and follow with the paprika. Mix the spices, onions, and chicken well for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cover to the pot and put into the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the chicken is tender. If you feel the chicken is too dry or not tender enough – drizzle in some olive oil.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer to a bowl.
- Utilizing two forks – start to pull the chicken apart piece by piece. If desired, this is the time to add some salt.
- Serve with sides or add to a sandwich…
- Happy, happy noms!
xxx – Sarah