New Year. New Recipes. Bring it.
Thought I would start the first day of the new year off properly with a recipe posting. This is a great creation that can serve as breakfast, a post-workout snack, lunch or dinner. With time being of essence sometimes it is simply wonderful to grab something that is nutrient dense to the core and hit the road – shelf date is about one week from the day of creation.
Each muffin contains a variety of vegetables allowing for antioxidant, vitamin, and mineral consumption along with protein from the eggs. This dish is also gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free therefore get ready to make this a staple in your life. As many may or may not know, gluten acts as an inflammatory agent, if you are experiencing some aches, bloating, or abdominal discomfort – it may be time to try an elimination diet aka removing gluten-based items for a bit to see if you can recognize any changes. The recommended serving is 2 muffins buuuuuut as we all know sometimes it is hard to stop at just that amount.
Try these lean and delicious muffins today.
- 6 eggs (whisked in a bowl)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced/minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4-5 strips of bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup kale, chopped
- Parchment paper baking cups (absolutely love using the ones from PaperChef)
- Muffin tin
- S&P to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare all the above ingredients.
- In a frying pan cook the bacon then remove from pan when cooked.
- Utilizing some of the bacon grease add the yellow onion and sautee until browned then remove from heat.
- Combine and mix well: eggs, coconut flour, tomatoes, sweet potato, coconut oil, and kale.
- Add the onion and bacon to the egg concoction then mix well.
- OPTIONAL: Add S&P as desired for an extra pop in flavor… (FYI – This recipe tastes fantastic without the added salt due to the bacon.)
- Put the baking cups into the muffin tin then distribute the mixture evenly to all cups.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until browned as desired.
- Remove from heat, cool, and serve.