With the warmer weather comes time for cool drinks and when I say ‘cool’ I mean awesome drinks such as this one. This is an easy smoothie to create and best of all it has very few allergens. This recipe is dairy and gluten-free. Smoothies are a great way to boost your intake of vegetables and fruits. For example, this recipe includes 1 cup of spinach which is a single vegetable serving. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, calcium, and iron which assists the body in various ways. A few benefits to name that come from the intake of spinach include assistance in bone development/maintenance, red blood cell development, muscle contractions/relaxation, wound healing, reproduction, optimization of antioxidant absorption, collagen production, and skin integrity.
This smoothie can be a great drink while at your desk, watching a film, or hosting a party (just add the ETOH aka alcoholic beverage of preference). If you are looking to boost your protein intake, a scoop of desired protein powder can be added to the recipe or nut-butter of choice such as cashew, peanut, or almond butter.
- 1/2 cup vanilla or plain non-dairy coconut yogurt (a great brand is So Delicious Dairy Free)
- 1/2 cup green grapes, washed
- 1 cup fresh spinach, washed
- 1/2 medium banana, peeled
- 1/2 apple, halved with the skin on
- 1/3 cup fresh or canned pineapple, chunks or cubes
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1/3 cup water
- OPTIONAL ADDITIONS: Protein powder, nut butter, or alcohol
- Place all ingredients into a blender and secure the lid.
- Blend for about 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Distribute into four 8 ounce glasses.
- Time to savor your greens!
- If you would like to reference the full recipe and its nutrient content please click here: Green Sailing Smoothie Recipe & Nutrient Analysis. Keep in mind that the recipe analysis is based on non-dairy coconut yogurt.
xxx – Sarah
needed a new smoothie recipe and this one looks great. Never knew there was such a thing as coconut yogurt. 🙂
Coconut yogurt is such a great alternative to dairy based yogurts!