With the weather finally warming up my taste buds are craving something sweet with a side of adventure. I love dips, mixes, and relishes especially when in a bind. These days I have little time but I enjoy cooking at home and having leftovers for lunch (or breakfast) the next day at work. Mangoes are my absolute favorite fruit – cannot get enough! I could eat it with anything… That is how I came up with this relish which is a perfect addition to protein dishes such as steak, chicken, fish, or even eggs. This recipe can even be utilized when in a bind during meal prep for a dinner party and can serve as a twist to a traditional starter such as guacamole.
There are many varieties of mangoes; my favorite type of mango is the yellow mango otherwise known as ‘ataulfo’ and ‘champagne.’ These mangoes are best during the early spring to mid summer months. Mangoes such as this one contain high amounts of vitamins C and A as well as dietary fiber. Like most fruits, mangoes are naturally free of fat, sodium, and cholesterol.
Mango Grape Relish
INGREDIENTS (raw & fresh)
- Yellow mango (1 whole); diced
- Red grapes (1/2 cup); sliced in half
- Cilantro (1/3 cup); minced
- Yellow onion (1/4 cup); minced
- Lime (1/2 whole); juice
- Avocado (1 whole); diced
- Heirloom tomato (1 whole – small); diced
- Combine the mango, grapes, cilantro, onion, avocado, and tomato in a bowl then mix.
- Add the lime juice atop the ingredients and toss.
- Serve with chips, crudités, or even atop of a skirt steak (as seen in the photo below).
- Smack those lips together and enjoy!
xxx – Sarah