Seafood Galore. Lately all I want is seafood and more of it. Nothing wrong with that… You’ve officially got the ‘Dietitian Stamp of Approval’ if you’re in the same boat. Work has been insane but awesome. Sometimes it is almost impossible to even reach for my phone and snap up photos of awesome meals. Anyhow I am finally sitting down, sharing my meals again, and writing the recipes along with a snapshot of how healthy it is!
This recipe is relatively simple and easy. It is also HEALTHY. Score. Cabbage is a great addition to meals. It can be used raw or cooked. In this recipe, it is raw, but delicious. There are a multitude of colors to choose from such as white, green, or red/purple. I’m partial to red but was feeling partial to green for this particular creation.
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable loaded with antioxidants, cancer preventive elements, and anti-inflammatory properties (cardiovascular, endocrine, and digestive). The nutrient composition of this superfood item make it sought after aka who doesn’t want something pretty much calorie-free and loaded with minerals/vitamins? For those of you looking to boost your intake of individual elements such as vitamin-K, maganese, vitamin-A, folate, vitamin-B or fiber – choose cabbage! If you’re taking a medication such as warfarin/coumadin that interacts with vitamin-K it is recommended to watch your intake of cabbage and be consistent otherwise your medication won’t work as planned!
COCONUT CRUSTED SHRIMP
- Raw, jumbo shrimp (1 pound) – devien and peel if not already deviened and peeled.
- Raw, egg (single) – beat well in a bowl
- Coconut flour (1/4 c)
- Raw, coconut flakes (1/2 c)
- Coconut oil (to coat a frying pan)
- Set up your ingredients: beaten egg in a bowl, coconut flour on a small plate, and coconut flakes on a separate small plate or the same plate.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture from the shrimp.
- Heat up a frying pan (medium heat)and add coconut oil to coat the pan as appropriate
- Dip each shrimp into the bowl with egg then quickly dip lightly into the flour and finish with a strong coating of coconut flakes. Repeat for each individual shrimp.
- Place all shrimp on the frying pan and heat. Sear each side for about 2-3 minutes until a golden brown color is noted. Finalize each side with a quick 1 minute sear.
- Remove the shrimp from heat and set aside.
SHREDDED CABBAGE SALAD (ingredient amounts depend on how hungry you are but feel free to refer to the portions as listed if desired)
- Raw, cabbage (3 c) – shred up and chop into slivers
- Raw, kale (2.5 c) – chop
- Raw, cherry tomatoes (1 c) – slice into halves
- Raw, avocado (whole pc) – halve and dice as able
- Raw, carrots (1 pc) – shred into strands
- Raw, cucumber (1/4 of a whole large pc) – chop or dice
- Dressing: red wine and apple cider vinegar (don’t tell your date)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Raw, coconut flakes (as desired)
- Distribute the cabbage and kale into bowls.
- Toss in the tomatoes, avocado, carrots, and cucumber.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Time to add the magic aka dressing: drizzle red wine over the ingredients and then double the drizzle amount for the apple cider vinegar. Or if you’re super ready for an awesome night, do the opposite, double up on the red wine…
- OPTIONAL: sprinkle salt and pepper to taste
- Place the shrimp atop the salad and sprinkle some coconut flakes for extra pizzazz.
- Kahhhbooom! Enjoy!
xxx – Sarah