I’m home in Indialantic, Florida for the holidays… Whenever I’m down here I tend to love to make dishes that are mainly seafood or chicken. My mother has never been a fan of curry, and my father, he’ll eat just about anything. So I decided to make them a dish they’ve never had before and it will obviously have some mango (my favorite fruit – I could live on it). It’s the holiday season and the selection was limited but there was tilapia – so that is how the meal came to be… I adore spinach and garlic – so the side dish combines two of my favorite items and goes well with the main dish.
Color is extremely important, I try to tell people to consume 4-5 colors during mealtimes because not only does it increase the appearance of the dish color-wise but it increases one’s dietary intake of food groups (grains, fruits, vegetables, and protein sources), antioxidant intake, and gives offers more variety. This dish is certainly COLORFUL!
Coconut Curry Tilapia – Serves 4
- 4-5 whole tilapia fillets
- 2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. raw coconut, flakes
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 3 ea. mangoes, diced
- 1/2 c. canned pineapple pieces, strained
- 1/4 c. celery, diced
- 1/4 c. red peper, minced
- 1/4 c. canned black beans, strained
- 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- 3 tbsp. ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. paprika
- 3 tbsp. cumin
- 4-5 tbsp. curry powder and additional curry powder to sprinkle during cooking
- 2-3 egg whites
- 2 tbsp. low-fat milk
- Olive oil spray
- Serving bowl for the mango relish
- Shallow bowl (for dipping fillets)
- Small pan (for coating of fillets)
- Large frying pan
- Cutting board
- French knife
- Mango Relish: Combine the mangoes, pineapple pieces, celery, red pepper, black beans, cilantro, and lime juice – mix well. Cover and set relish aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- Tilapia Spice Mix: Combine the black pepper, paprika, cumin, and curry powder – mix well then set aside.
- Combine the egg whites and milk in a shallow bowl.
- Combine the coconut flakes and panko bread crumbs on a plate.
- Chop up each tilapia fillet into 4 pieces.
- Dip the tilapia pieces into the egg white mixture then coat with the coconut and panko mixture. Repeat until all pieces are coated well.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture on the tilapia pieces.
- Spray frying pan with olive oil spray. Brown each side of the tilapia pieces for 4-5 minutes – set aside for serving.
- Portion out the mango relish atop each tilapia piece.
- 1 and 1/2 bags spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, diced
- 1 c. olive oil
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing spoon
- Cutting board
- French knife
- Medium serving dish
- In a medium sauce pan, heat up 1/2 c. olive oil, and stir in the minced garlic.
- Add the diced tomatoes and 1/2 the spinach into the saucepan – stir well.
- OPTIONAL: If the tomato and spinach mix seems stiff or is not covered in olive oil – add in some of the remaining olive oil.
- Add in the remaining spinach and continue to stir until all the leaves are tender and doused in olive oil.
- Stir for a short time to prevent the spinach from wilting and shrinking too much.